Friday 2 March 2018

Tail end of the season - March 2017

I've now idea what happened, but suddenly it was March and the end of the river season was looming so a few short sessions down the local river seemed like a good idea.

One of my favourite trotting swims - this can produce anything on the day
The weather was unusually mild, the river colour and level ok, so I was hoping I might get a bite or two. I was not disappointed.

March 3rd - a few fish from trotting, including one better chub


A rare upside-down chub

March 9th - I tried dragging some bait along the bottom of the weir pool which produced chub (in the 3-4lb bracket) and a good perch (among others) and a few dozen small perch further up, thanks to a tip from another angler.

This perch went 1lb 8oz


A couple of quality chub



March 14th - buoyed by my success on the weir pool on the previous visit I was dying to give it another go, convinced there were bigger perch to catch. Only to find the peg was occupied. 

I fished some of the swims above and below and managed to bag a few fish as well as this chub that went nearly 5lb



The angler on the weir pool finally moved on after bagging a near-2lb perch, so I thought I was out of luck. 

But a short while later, the stick float went under and this little fella appear - a pb perch of 2lb 13oz. And that as they say, was the river season well and truly wrapped up. Result.

1 comment: