Friday 2 March 2018

Arran's Lake 30-12-2016

I've had a few good sessions at Arran's. I'm happy to admit it's easy fishing, but it makes a nice change and in the depths of winter it's nice to catch a few fish.

So in the depths of a cold day there I was, bait and tackle at the ready with high expectations.

Man, it was cold, I think it just crept above freezing, but not much with a cold mist penetrating everything with cold. Brrrr.


A cold day on the far end of the lake

Apparently, it had fished well the day before, the owner had used a JCB to break the ice and the anglers had bagged a fair few carp.

My experience was somewhat different. After a slow start I started to put some nice silver fish in the net - mostly roach up to 8 oz in side responded well to maggot, but pellet was ignored.

Cold and misty, quite atmospheric if truth be told

I carried on with maggot hoping that the carp would show at some point and muscle the smaller fish out. They never came.

I had one carp at 11m that I hoped would signal a change, but it was a false dawn. I saw a few swirls on the 3m line later in the day, but nothing seemed to be working. So I chalked the day off and will be a little more selective when I go next time in the depths of winter.

A solitary carp, not quite what the doctor ordered
Still managed abut 100 silver fish which combined with the carp probably went the best part of 30lb though.

No comments:

Post a Comment