Sunday 5 August 2012

River Colne 5-8-12

I don't often target large fish, but every now and again I give it a go. At least initially, then I give in and revert back to my usual approach. Today's session might well have gone that way. 

I decided to have another go at the weirpool that I'd fished two weeks previously. The plan was to start on legered pellet for barbel and then, if it was too quiet I'd switch back to trotting the maggot. I mean, as long as I caught something I couldn't lose, could I?

I arrived at the swim about 0630, thankfully it was unoccupied (that was a relief) and I set about putting the gear together. A heavy feeder rod, 10lb line, free running method feeder with 4mm pellet and a size 12 hook on a 8lb hooklink to 14mm halibut pellet. Not subtle, but the swim was snaggy by the lip of the weir, so I wanted a bit of oomph should I need it. 

The weir side of the swim

The run out of the weirpool (trotting swim)

The plan was to give this about an hour and then see how things were going. 

First cast, and I got a couple of rattles, but nothing that suggested a bite.

Second put in and after about 5 minutes in the water and the tip rocketed down. Contact. The rod immediately hooped down to the right and I started to apply some sidestrain - there was some serious snags at the base of the lip and I didn't want to lose the fish. The fish bucked hard and strong, big lunges being transmitted back to the rod, but I felt I was just starting to win. Then it all went slack. 

Whether it was a snag, a faulty knot, or my natural cack-handedness, I will never know, but a brand new 8lb hooklength was no more. Gutted. 

Rerigged and rebaited and out I went again. Nothing. 

After another 45 minutes, having tried a few different spots with the heavy rig (to no avail) I decided to set up the float rod with a stick float. I flicked on the bait runner on the reel while I did so and just as I was about to put the shot on the line the reel whizzed off. 

I struck on the leger rod and there was a solid resistance. Nothing like as strong as the previous time, but a weighty fish never-the-less. The fish wandered a little downstream into clear water and after a couple of minutes my quarry was safely in the net. 


A Colne barbel of 4lb 12oz. Result. 

I decided to rest that line at this point and have half an hour on the stick float. Bites were taken on a range a lines and depths, which resulted in a range of small fish roach, chublets, dace, bleak, perch and minnows all showed up, but nothing over 4oz or so. But 20 fish in half an hour is not to be sniffed at. Then back to the leger rig for 30 mins. 

Nothing. A couple of tweaks on the line (but not often). So after 30 mins it was back on the float gear. 

By standing a few metres further upstream I found a better position to trot and feed and the fish started to flow. Not as good as the previous visit, but more fish came to the net and unlike the previous trip there were less roach and more perch, but there were a lot of minnows present.

After half an hour I decided to stop float fishing at the next roach. This took about ten fish and 15 minutes to do, and then I settled into the last 30 mins on the leger.

It was about 10 o'clock at this point, (I'd agreed to be home by about 11), so I didn't really fancy my chances, but just as I thought that was that, the tip whacked over and it was fish on again. This felt a little larger as it tried to burrow under the sill of the weir. I applied a little pressure (but not too much after my earlier issues) and after a few minutes the fish started to move into mid-river. 

After that it was easily netted, another nice barbel. 

Colne Barbel 6lb 4oz.
A cracking fish, in perfect condition going 6lb 4oz. What more could you ask for?

I finished off my 30 minute session, no more bites, but my two nice barbel and 60+ small fish wasn't bad for a few hours work. I just wish I knew how big the 'one that got away' was - it was certainly more powerful that the ones I landed, maybe one for next time. 

Catch List:

Barbel 2
Roach 20
Perch 6
Chub 6
Dace 2
Bleak 8
Minnow 20

Total weight: 20lb

No comments:

Post a Comment