Sunday 5 August 2012

Finch Farm 29-7-12

I fancied a change, a full day's fishing on the pole and a chance of a decent fish or two. Since my other choices were blocked by matches, I decided to give Finch Farm a go. It usually produced some small fish, but I fancied my chances of a lump or two. 

For a change I started on the Anaconda Snake lake, a thin channel that is supposed to hold some larger specimens, including some big barbel, so I thought I'd give it a go. 

I set up the pole at about 10m, angled to the side (it was that narrow) and tried a variety of baits over the top. I found the bottom to be very uneven (I suspected some reeds had been dredged out recently) and a little snaggy and weedy. Result was, one hour gone, a couple of vague (missed bites) and no signs of much happening. A chat with the bailiff (Lech) suggested it was hard fishing, so I bit the bullet and headed down to the other lake. 

The Snake Lake
Yes, it really is that narrow
Moving down to the main lake was a good idea. Three put ins on 6mm pellet next to the island produced three quick carp. Not big (half pound ish each) but action was instantaneous. 

And then, slowly it started to slow down. Left swim, right swim, off the island, on the island all produced fish, but not in great numbers. Previous visits suggested that light tackle and small pellets worked best, and so it proved again, but there was no bagging up to be had. 

I tried to get the inside line going - but without much doing. This surprised me, as this had often been a life saver in the past. So I kept on moving around the lines and picking up the odd fish. 

Island swim
Margin right hand swim
A second trip to the margin finally produced a decent bite. I struck and there was proper weight on the line. but no fight. I applied pressure and a big old bream lay there on the top. 5lb 8oz of it. First decent bream from the venue and at least some evidence that they do exist. 


At that point the two swims to my left became occupied and life got a lot more complicated. The inside line dropped off, and the far line became tougher. 

I carried on and continued to catch a few fish from the far side. I wasn't pulling up any trees, but the fish were ticking over. Apparently the open match held the previous weekend had only be won with 18lb, so I supposed I shouldn't complain. 

I tried a few things. Some worked, some didn't, but mostly only for a few fish. A couple of better fish pushed 2lb odd from the far side, but then that died too. 

I packed up as a huge thunderstorm threatened. Not a bad day, not brilliant, but nice to see one of the decent bream. 

Catch List:

Roach 6
Mirror Carp 3
Common Carp 20
F1 Carp 12
Goldfish 8
Bream 2

Total Weight: 30lb

No comments:

Post a Comment