Friday 13 May 2016

Toddington 5-5-16



Originally I had planned on fishing at Fancott today, but on arrival there was a match on. I definitely checked the website the previous night, but somehow I’d misread it. So as a change of plan I went to Toddington instead (which is only just up the road).

I could have fished the top lake, which is fairly easy, but instead I plumped for the bottom one on off chance of bigger carp, and dare I whisper it, a catfish.

I set up on the far side opposite a new island that had been constructed right on the limit of pole distance. It felt a bit strange to be out – this was my first proper trip of 2016, so it felt slightly unfamiliar as I got the gear out. 

14.5m got me all the way to the island, but no improvement in catch rate

Starting on my usual tactics (11m pole, full depth, 11mm expander) I took a few early skimmers including one of nearly 2lb and all seemed well. There were a few bubbles in the swim, the odd swirl in the margins and a few carp going past near the surface. Add on some nice looking weather and it looked like being a good day. 

Then it went quiet.

I pushed out to 13m and immediately picked up a proper bream of nearly 4lb – it was a tired looking fish that may well have been recovering from spawning.  Maybe this was looking up. Then it went quiet again.

View to the left and the big island. Out there to the right is a submerged island. I found this by plumbing around. Maybe next time...
I switched to a lighter rig on 2+2 and a smaller pellet and started getting regular bites on the right hand side at the bottom of the shelf. Mostly small skimmers with the odd F1 thrown in. 

View of the right hand margin - lots of swirls close in

And that really became the pattern of the day – small skimmers and the odd F1 on both lines. Sweetcorn would produce for a while, then pellet then switch back. I reckon each line was good for about 5 bites / 3 fish and then it went quiet. 

A fish, a fish, my kingdom for a fish.


And no signs of carp or catfish in my swim.

Chatting to some of the regulars revealed very little being caught around the lake, so I suppose I shouldn’t complain. A nice day out and a few fish caught. Roll on the summer.

Catch list

Bream: 30
F1 Carp: 5
Roach: 1
Total weight: 20lb

No comments:

Post a Comment