Wednesday 23 December 2015

The ones that got away






A few trips out that didn’t make the blog at the right time.



26/8/15 following on from Entire Farm I headed down to Finch Farm to try and bag a barbel (or a catfish) from the Snake Lake. Well… that sounded good in theory but didn’t work in practice. The Snake had been reconfigured, the barbel had gone and I was not really set up for catfish. So after a short while and a few small skimmers I moved down to the Match Lake and caught about 40lb of carp and small bits. Still no catfish. 

Finch Farm: the initial swim. Carp were patrolling in the reeds to the left, but only small skimmers showed on the pole line.
 
Finch Farm: One of the afternoon's captures. It's been a while since I caught a ghostie.



End of September, a visit to Pondwood Farm. This was a well-planned trip to try and bag a catfish. Two new bait alarms, a giant landing net and various bits of unfamiliar terminal tackle and I was ready to have a sit down session to try and succeed. I didn't. After a long day, I had three small carp to show for my trouble (best 10lb) and no cats.


Just waiting for a bite




I had fancied my chances just as the light levels were falling as I had a large fish in the margins that kept passing, but noisy neighbours put paid to that. Well, maybe next year. 

Pondwood - something big kept visiting this margin. I never did get a bite though.





Upper Colne. Tried out my new lightweight seatbox with a trip to the weirpool to fish the pole. I caught reasonably well but didn’t have the right gear to really nail it down for a big fish – but now I know what to do when I go back.



Lower Colne. Fished one of the spots I was told was home to many good chub. It wasn’t. In fact after talking to the bailiff it appears it’s been hard going all season due to otters, with barely a decent fish being caught. Thankfully I bagged up on some small stuff further downstream to lessen the pain. I can see the lightweight box getting an outing down there soon. 

This is supposed to be the best peg for chub on the river. Needless to say I didn't get a bite.

No comments:

Post a Comment