Tuesday 30 June 2015

2015 so far

So, the more observant ones amongst you may have noticed a distinct lack of posts this year. There's a very good reason for this - I've not really been fishing that much.

There are a few reasons for this - not least of this was preparing for a 50-mile charity bike ride in May - but now I hope to atone a bit.

So my few trips out:

Finch Farm - at New Year (ish). 

Fished down the right hand side in cool and breezy conditions to catch a range of small fish. Finch farm is always worth a go in the winter since the roach always feed and the small carp, F1s and goldfish are good for a bite or two. Overall a slightly frustrating session but nice to bag a fish or two. I have no photos from this day as my iPhone decided to throw a fit just as I was taking a photo -three hours later it decided to come back on :-(

River Colne - last Sunday of the season March 14th 2015

I fished all my usual haunts on the Colne on the usual trotted maggot approach. I was desperate to catch a few small fish - it was slightly cool and the water was high, but I expected the usual pegs to be worth a bite or two. They were not.

It was very tough with not a single bite showing in any of the usual places - even in the depths of winter I would expect to pick some small fish up somewhere.

Anyway, finally at the top end of the stretch the float dipped and for once it wasn't the bottom and a good sized fish was on. And then not. Annoyed a tried a couple of swims further up with no joy and returned to the location of my lost fish for a final ten minutes and it produced. Possibly the fish I'd hooked before, possibly not. I didn't care - blank avoided and a 3lb 4oz chub in the net. The river season endeth here.



Pixies Mere - April 7th, 2015

I cannot remember exactly the last time I fished Pixies Mere, but it could well be ten years or more ago. So, for a change and a challenge I decided to have a go.

Arriving early I was hoping to pole fish from the point at the south end of the lake and try to catch a bream or two and whatever else decided to show - there are a good head of carp as well.

I set up found a shallow bar in front of me that tapered off left and right and started on maggot. A small roach followed and then I lost a decent skimmer, which was encouraging and then.. it went really hard. Over the next 4 hours I managed about a dozen roach and one decent skimmer. In the mean time several carp cruised past (although they looked more to be gasping than feeding) and I packed up disappointed. A notable green tinge to the water and lack of other anglers suggested this was not the right venue on the day. :-(



No comments:

Post a Comment