Sunday 27 July 2014

Local River 20-7-14

I know... it's been a while. I have been fishing, just not had the chance to write up the catches. 

So a quick summary of last Sunday. I decided to try for a good fish or two from the weirpool. For three hours I alternated between trotting maggot and legering a big pellet (30 mins on each). Trotting was hard work - the higher than normal water levels, plus a change in the weir lip has made this difficult. You can catch but you cant really trot properly. It's a shame  :-( One of these days I'm going to take all the pole gear down there... but not today.

Nothing showed on the big pellet, but there were some really good telltale plinks on the line - I suspect I need a longer hooklength. 

Trotting worked after a fashion, although it was mostly perch up to 6oz that showed, although three small barbel put in an appearance aswell along with the usual suspects. 

Final half hour (that may have overrun a little) was further upstream above the playground. The pegs that were traditionally devoid of small fish had recently been producing small roach, and this was true on this visit as well. I assume the fish were washed down the river from the canal in the winter floods - but no complaints here. A good few fish before I bagged a six and a half pound pike that took a fancy to a small perch on the way in. 

Duly landed and released 20 metres downstream, I hung around for a few more fish before heading home. Great bag of small fish. 

Catch list:
Barbel: 3
Perch: 25
Roach: 30
Pike: 1
Gudgeon: 1
Bleak: 5
Chub: 10
Dace: 10
Minnow: 1

Total weight: 12lb

No comments:

Post a Comment