Friday 8 March 2013

Thoroughly enjoyable session (Blast from the past)





Originally written July 2007


Had a thoroughly enjoyable session on a new venue for me yesterday and thought I would share. Having had a rather disappointing session on Saturday morning at a local commercial-type venue I decided a change was in order and headed down to a local club lake for Sunday afternoon.

I'd not fished the venue before (I'd only seen in once in the dead of winter), and having gathered a few snippets of information from the local tackle shop, so I thought what the heck, I would fish pellet on the pole and see if the rumoured bream and carp would show. I'd been told not to expect too much, whilst there were a head of both bream and carp in the venue, it was far from commercial levels of stocking. In fact the advice was, go fish the far (shallow) end, it's a bit slow, you should catch on pellet although expect a good wait between bites and it's about 3 foot deep. A quick check on previous matches showed the 20-30lb was a typical winning weight, so bag-up city it most definitely was not.

So arriving at about 2:30 in the afternoon I headed off to the far end of the lake and one could not help but notice the large carp-shaped things cruising just below the surface. Quite a few fish, low doubles I'd guess including some very attractive looking ghosties. This was encouraging, although the 'no surface baits' rule put paid to the obvious tactics.

Suffice to say I got to the peg, potted in a few pellets to kick start the swim and got busy getting organised. Initial set up was a longish rig for plumbing up. I plumbed up, it disappeared, 3 foot, indeed. A quick rig set up on the bank and we were back in business, with 15 foot of water.

Hmm, note to self: I must teach the folks in the tackle shop how to count, if only they'd make the same mistakes with the pricing.

Anyway, just before 3pm I was ready to fish. One 11mm expander on the hook, ship out, feed the main line, feed the swim by the snags in the left hand margin and wait. And waited, and then, I waited some more.

After about 15 minutes I started to get a few knocks on the float and a few bubbles in the swim. Not proper bites, but the sort of thing you get when there are fish milling about, but not really feeding. After 3 or 4 air strikes (the type when you strike into nothing as opposed to the type over Afghanistan) which I assumed were small skimmers, I struck and finally made contact. The fish came up in the water like a dream, to a point about 3 foot from the top and followed me in as a shipped back, giving me all the tell tale bream signs, I slowly eased the pole back when somehow the bream underwent a metamorphosis into an angry common carp that suddenly decided that an excursion to the left hand snag was greatly preferable to having to look at my face.

Despite my best attempts to lose the fish in one of its three forays into the roots, I finally slipped the landing net under a lovely, dark common that just touched 7lb on the scales. Well that was a nice bonus I thought.

So back it was out again, a few more pellets, and following another wait, a repeat performance (with a little less root action), another, almost identical common of 6lb 8oz. At this point an hour had passed but with only two bites and lots of knocks I decided to change the hook size down and go in again with a soft 6mm pellet on the hook.

20 minutes later, bite, strike, lots of elastic and after initially minor runs an explosion in the water saw a spirited ghostie on the end of the line. Despite its early indications or a gentle fight, this was one carp that was not going to surrender easily, but nevertheless and despite numerous misses with the landing net, eventually it graced the bank, a gorgeous ghostie of 13lb 9oz.



Another carp, and suddenly bream started to appear, give or take all about the 5lb mark, as bites became more frequent and my ongoing tally of weight started to tick over at an increasing rate. Never rapid, never one after another, but definitely no longer having to wait 30 minutes for a bites, the odd carp and a few that escaped (probably foul-hooked in the deep water).

Suddenly the tally was climbing with the bream really starting to add to the weight, before I knew it I'd hit the 87lb mark, then along came a cracking 8lb common to make it 95lb. At that point a passing angler, who'd just packed up, came to watch me and the bites…. stopped.

A few switches later, inside line, deeper, shallower, different hook size, another foul-hooker screamed off before getting free. It was all looking like curtains as darkness was starting to threaten when I tried a grain of sweetcorn for change. (I'd tried this a few times earlier in the day with no success at all). The float settled and then was gone, another 5lb bream into the net and the 'ton' broken.

A few more minutes produced another carp of 5lb, before packing up and a quick drive home to a quick round of the, now, infamous "where have you been husband?" game.

So there you have it, a hundred pound of fish (11 bream & 7 carp) caught in just under 6 hours from a new water, and, I have to sense with a great sense of achievement. But, now in the cold light of day, I cant help wondering why…

Now I've caught bigger fish on the pole, and recently for that matter, and I've put together bigger bags of fish. I've caught faster and arguable fished better.

I did enjoy throwing a few pellets to the family of baby geese that kept passing through the swim. And there was a certain enjoyment from observing the kamikaze moorhen in the nearby tree that did not so much go for a swim as made a semi-controlled bellyflop from tree to water?

I did also have a sense of excitement during the session that I don't normally experience, was it the virgin water, or was it the snags that adorned both sides of the peg that made any bite an adventure waiting to happen?

Was it the friendly club members I spoke to on the bank, including the "I've never seen anyone fish the pole down here before" statement? (I suspect that might change) and the friendly shake of the hand and a "well done mate" as I passed the 100lb mark.

I don't think I know, I could sit and ponder this for a while, but d'you know what, I don't think I will. All I know is this that work today was slightly less objectionable than normal because of the wonderful sport we share.

I’ll be back

No comments:

Post a Comment