Friday 18 May 2012

Sheephouse Farm, Maidenhead, 17th May 2012

And now for something completely different. (I'm sure I've heard that before somewhere).

Having had a trawl through a few websites, I came across a fishing venue site called spotfish. I plugged in my postcode and it suggested a few venues. Most of these I knew about, but one of the closest was new to me – Sheephouse Farm in Maidenhead. So, for a change I decided to give it a go, if I'm not careful I end up fishing the same venues, so I like to mix things up for a change and the attraction of fishing a tench lake sounded like an interesting diversion.

I arrived at the venue at 7am. Paid up (£7.50 for one rod) and wandered down to the lake with my usual pile of gear. I chatted to one of the regulars who advised I didn't need to go too far out, and that corn was the in bait at the moment. The things that struck me straight away were:

  1. what a lovely peaceful place
  2. how clear the water was (I could see at least 6 foot down)
  3. how quickly it dropped off (it was 6 foot down just a few yards out)
  4. how big the lake was – about 6 acres
  5. the nice features on the far side that screamed tench (maybe next time)


I set up on a nice concrete peg with a view to fishing two pole lines. 11 metres straight out, and 11 metres to the left at the bottom of the slope (about 3 metres from the bank). I potted in a few 4mm pellets and had a go at plumbing up.

I had a suitable rig for the inside line (7ft deep) but I had to knock up a new one for the main line as it was about 12ft deep out there. A quick 0.8g float set-up to 0.12 line and a 16 hook and I was in business. 

Deep, clear water near the bank
 

I started with double red maggot - thought this might give me problems with the smaller fish, but you have to start somewhere. 20 minutes dead ahead and absolutely nothing. So I tried the left hand line. 

 

Five minutes later and the float moved a little, and 30 seconds later it dipped sharply. I struck and yards of no.12 elastic shot out. Contact. A spirited fight later and I started to see a tench coming up through the clear water – it was an amazing sight to see the fish coming up towards the surface (makes such a change from heavily coloured waters). Before I knew it, there was 4lb of tench in the landing net. 

 

I re-fed both lines (trying to concentrate the feed) with a few pellets plus a pinch of corn and red maggot and went back to the left hand line. 10 minutes later and a repeat performance. A lovely tench in clear water was just about to come into netting range when the hook pulled out. Not ideal, but not a disaster – if I could keep catching tench like this I didn't care.

I switched around a bit at this point. Tried the other line (nothing), and on a trip back to the left hand line I had another bite and another good tug on the elastic, but again the hook pulled. So I stepped up to a 14 hook. At this point another angler turned up to my left (about 20 metres away), although he was relatively quiet, he did bang some banksticks in and chuck out a few leads... and I never did get another bite on this line.

I persevered with the straight ahead line, and a bite on maggot produced a tench of 4lb 4oz, before losing another. I tried corn (nothing) back to maggot (small perch) and big pellet (nothing) but the fish were clearly moving around rather than settling, and the breeze that had picked up was hampering both feeding and presentation. 

 

The perch were tiny, but not so numerous as to be a real pain, and one switch back to corn produced another tench of 4lb 8oz. Try as a might for the next two hours, all I could manage was a few small perch. The few other anglers about had taken the odd fish too, but even they had dried up as we approach midday.

I tried a few more tricks, but only perch resulted.

At about 13:30 I called it quits. This is a very interesting venue and one I would like to crack – I can see how some folks could catch well over a dozen fish in a session on the right day. Great scenery, quiet venue, red kites overhead and well away from the usual carp-waters (although there are some big grass carp present). I will be back at some point.


Catch list:
Tench - 3
Perch – 10

Total weight 13lb

No comments:

Post a Comment