Saturday 14 April 2012

Dead Boddies

Boddingtons, Byfield, 13-04-2012

Feeling the need to hit the bank and burn some petrol, I decided that a trip to Boddingtons would be suitable. On the way up the M40 there was some early signs of frost and quite a lot of fog, but the forecast suggested it would be a nice day, with minimal wind so I ploughed on.

I made my usual stop at MacDonalds drive thru in Banbury and arrived at the fishery just before 7am to be the second car in the car park and to see a reading of just 1 degree on the car's temp gauge. This could be more difficult than I expected.

I dragged the gear to the top of the ramp (is it me or does this get steeper every time?) and had a quick look at the lake. It was, as I'd been informed, higher than last year. All the pegs had water in front of them with the water a couple of steps down from the second platform. I'd been recommended pegs 5-7 on the dam, so I headed off and settled on peg 7.

I set the box up on the steps to get close to the water, it was ok, but felt and looked somewhat precarious. I had visions of an early (and cold bath), but thankfully this didn't occur, but during the day I did wobble once or twice. On balance I should have sat back a couple of feet and gone with the safer option, but hey, you have to try these things. 

Precarious spacing on the steps - note the middle feet
 

Starting gambit was the 11m pole line. I usually struggle to keep the fish going on the pole, but one of these days it'll all come together and a real day to remember will occur, so I have to start on the pole. In went a medium pot of 4mm pellets lined up with a far bank marker, while I set up rigs and tuned everything. Just over 4ft of water at 11 metres was tackled with 0.20mm line and 0.6g drennan carp series 6 float and a size 8 hook to 11mm expander pellet on 22 elastic. This might seem a little heavy, but if they were biting it would deliver, and there are always other options to explore.

First put-in was about 0725. Nothing. And more nothing. In fact there was absolutely nothing for a good 30 mins, with the possible exception of heavy fog rolling in, which reduced visibility to about 25 metres and made a mockery of my far bank marker. 

Fog. Thick Fog
 

Just before 8am I set up a lighter rig (0.14mm line to a 16 hook) to try 6mm pellets hoping that a roach might break the boredom. Shortly after I saw the first bow wave of a spooked carp, and then a bite. A short fight and a 7lb common was safely in the landing net. It was a sluggish fight, no hard runs, just plodding on, clearly the cooler weather had slowed the fish down.

Shortly after another bite on the light rig produced a 4oz roach. Then, nothing.

Alternating rigs produced another bite after 30 mins on the large expander, this time a lump of a fight. Convinced it was foul hooked, I took my time and a 12lb common rolled into the landing net, hooked fair and square in the mouth.

Reassured that the fish were there and would feed, I persevered. Nothing again for 30 mins, then one more bite. Duly connected with and another plodding fight that felt foul hooked. Again, it wasn't foul hooked, but a 14lb common in the net went some way to explain the heavy lunges. 

14lb of common carp in excellent condition
 

Then nothing for the best part of 30 mins. A quick bite, I connect with the fish, but the hook pulls as I ship back – probably my fault for rushing too much. 5 mins later and another bite produces a good fight from a mirror that went nearly 9lb 8oz. At this point the fog was starting to lift, and I decided to feed a second pole line where I'd seen fish moving, 7 metres at 45 degrees to the right, fairly close to where the rocks stop. Hopefully this would allow me to alternate and get a few more fish coming.

15 mins later I dropped on the 7m line and got an immediate bite and put a 7lb mirror in the landing net. It's nice when a plan comes together. It was now about 1015 and I had 5 carp for 49lb, it was warming up nicely and the fog was gone. 

Setup on the dam wall
 

But that, barring a 1oz roach that I foulhooked was that.

3 hours later I was biteless. Three pole lines – nothing, feeder – nothing, waggler – nothing, signs of fish – nothing. It was completely dead. 

Feeder - the tip just sat there, doing nothing
 

I was thinking it was just me, but another nearby angler packed up having blanked for 5 hours and a chat with the bailiff suggested it had been fishing hard for a while. So at about 1330 I called it quits and headed home.

Catch list:
Mirror Carp – 2
Common Carp - 3
Roach – 2

Total weight – 49lb

http://www.fisheries.co.uk/boddington/index.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment